Two of the biggest days in North American racing are back this summer at Saratoga: the $1.2 million Whitney and $1.25 million Travers Stakes.
The 40-day meet at Saratoga includes 69 stakes worth a combined $18.775 million in purses, and runs from Friday, July 21 through Labor Day on Monday, September 4.
The 2017 Whitney Stakes
Saturday, August 5
The 1 and 1/8 mile Whitney Stakes will be run on Saturday, August 5. A “win and you’re in” qualifier for the November 4, $6 million Breeder’s Cup Classic at Del Mar, the Whitney will pair with the Grade 1, $500,000 Test for 3-year-old fillies and Grade 3, $200,000 Fasig-Tipton Waya for turf fillies and mares going 1 and 1/2 miles. These three races will round out the graded stakes offerings on this first “must-see” card of the Saratoga meet.
Travers Day 2017
Saturday, August 26
Travers Day will feature the 148th running of the Mid-Summer Derby for 3-year-olds at 1 and 1/4 miles in addition to five other Grade 1 stakes:
- $1 million Sword Dancer Invitational (1 and 1/2 miles on the turf)
- $500,000 Ballerina (filly and mare sprinters)
- $600,000 Forego (seven furlongs)
- $500,000 Allen Jerkens Memorial, formerly known as the King’s Bishop (3-year-olds at seven furlongs)
- $700,000 Personal Ensign (fillies and mares going 1 and 1/8 miles)
- Bonus: Grade 2, $400,00 Woodford Reserve Ballston Spa (turf fillies and mares)
Travers Eve on August 25 will once again feature the popular new York Breeder’s Showcase Day. The $250,000 Albany for 3-year-olds going 1 and 1/8 miles and $150,000 West Point at 1 and 1/16 on the turf will be Friday’s highlights leading up to the big day on Saturday.