Frances Day 2019: A Summer Celebration at the Tang
Join us for our sixth annual Frances Day, a community open house on Saturday, June 15. Visitors can experience multiple contemporary art exhibitions, art-making activities, tours, food, music, and more in honor of the museum’s namesake, Frances Young Tang, Skidmore College Class of 1961.
Highlighting this year’s Frances Day are events related to Streb, in which a gallery becomes a rehearsal room, a performance space, and an exhibition of the archive of cutting-edge work since Streb Extreme Action’s 1985 founding by choreographer Elizabeth Streb. Streb and dancers will give a talk and demonstration at 2 p.m., followed by 30-minute workshops at 2:30, 3 and 3:30 p.m. for the public (workshops limited to 25 participants, ages 5 and older; sign-ups begin at 1 p.m. in the museum).
Streb is the 2019 Skidmore Summer Dance Choreographer-in-Residence, a program organized by the Skidmore College Office of Special Programs. Her events are sponsored by the New York State Council on the Arts, the Office of Special Programs and the Tang Teaching Museum.
Frances Day Schedule:
- 1 to 4 p.m.: Drop-in activities include a participatory sonic installation with artist Kamau Amu Patton in his exhibition Tel_; print-making with Skidmore Summer Studio Art Program faculty members Sophie Isaak and Patrick Casey; button-making; a make-your-own obstacle course; sidewalk chalk drawing (outside); and a special #FrancesDay ’Gram Station for selfies and other Instagram-able photos
- 1:30 p.m.: Behind-the-Scenes Collections Tour with Senior Museum Registrar Elizabeth Karp and Collections Registrar Jessica Lubniewski
- 2 p.m.: Gallery talk and demonstration by Elizabeth Streb and Streb Extreme Action dance company members
- 2:30 p.m.: Streb Workshop #1 for 25 participants age 5 and older (sign-up begins at 1 p.m. in the museum)
- 3 p.m.: Streb Workshop #2 for 25 participants age 5 and older (sign-up begins at 1 p.m. in the museum)
- 3 p.m.: Tour of Like Sugar with Curatorial Assistant Molly Channon
- 3 to 5 p.m.: Cookie decorating workshop (outside)
- 3:30 p.m.: Streb Workshop #3 for 25 participants age 5 and older (sign-up begins at 1 p.m. in the museum)
- 4 p.m.: Raffle winner announced
- 4:01 p.m.: Hot Club of Saratoga performs on the lawn
All events are free and open to the public.